This is my sixth bookcase, made in May 2010. The vines were routed with a wedge bit. Some of the leaves were cut through with a jigsaw; the rest were routed 1/4” deep with a straight bit, then stained a lighter shade than the rest of the bookcase.

photo photo

In progress:

photo photo


Here’s my fifth oak bookcase, which I finished (after a long half-done hiatus) in May 2010. The scenery on the sides is in bas-relief, done with router, hammer and chisel, and two-toned staining.

photo photo

Here is my fourth oak bookcase, which I made in August of 2006.

These are the sides in progress:

After wood filler, before staining (and before sanding off the extra filler):

Here is the finished product:

Here’s a detail of the right side:


Here’s the third bookcase I made, in October 2001.

photo


This is a pair of doll cribs, of mixed woods. The hearts are an application of circles with tangent lines. The flowers were hand-drawn; ladybugs and butterflies were copied from a children’s coloring kit. The drawings were then routed with a wedge bit and hand-painted.

photo

Assembled doll crib, before staining and painting. The joinery was done by router, wide drill bits, and wood glue.

photo


This little bas-relief plaque (2007) is a math joke involving my initials and one of the rules for quaternionic arithmetic.

jk=i


This is another little bas-relief plaque: it’s an old joke about English spelling. Do a web search for ghoti to get the joke.

ghoti


No geek jokes — just a name plaque. (Summer 2008.)

Matt


Here is an entrance sign. This was also hand-drawn, wedge-routed, hand-painted, and stained.

photo


These are some Christmas-tree ornaments (2007). Ingredients: 1/4” poplar, pencil, jigsaw, router, and four colors of craft paint.

photo photo

photo photo

photo photo

photo

The next year: a new nephew!

photo


In 2007, my 8-year-old daughter asked Santa for (among other things) some wood so that she could make something with her daddy. Santa complied by leaving some oak planking and a design.

rackplan.jpg

rackrjig.jpg rackejig.jpg

rackmark.jpg rackjoin.jpg

rackfinal.jpg


This is a simple little shelf (2008), shown before and after two-toned staining.

photo photo photo


2019: This was a castoff headboard. I split it in half and joined the sides; moved some of the posts; added a third row; sanded, re-stained, and re-varnished it.

photo photo photo photo photo photo photo photo


2019: A quick project with some castoff lumber. The legs are oak and the flats (which are warped) are pine. Some jigsaw cuts, some planing, some angle brackets — and it's a table. Some stain and varnish — and it's prettier!

photo photo photo photo photo photo photo photo photo photo


2019: A few months ago at the hardware store I saw a 12" x 48" x 3/4" pine plank, shrugged, & picked it up for someday. A few weeks ago I realized the far end of the couch has no place next to it to set a coffee cup. Supply -> demand :). This is the plank cut into thirds with angle brackets, and some spare lumber cut to reinforce the diagonals. Idea was to recapitulate a nice (and simple) leaf cutout design from a bookcase I did in 2010. (Holes jigsawed BTW. Then the low-relief with a router.) The idea for the stain was light brown overall with reddish in the leaves. Problem was pine is super-absorbent -- like a sharpie on blotter paper, the darker stain didn't confine to the leaves so I did the darker color all over. Second and related issue is the stain took deeply, so it's far more black than red. That was serendipitous, though ... I really like the dark look.

photo photo photo photo photo photo photo

Back